Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Officially taking that next step...

A little while ago I mentioned how I was going to switch "lady" doctors.  I realized that by the time I was due for my yearly exam, I hoped to be pregnant.  Since my current gyno didn't do OB (and I wasn't her biggest fan), I figured now was the perfect time to switch.

My paternal grandmother, father and siblings (and myself) were all born at the same local hospital (even though the hospital has changed even since I was born)!  So naturally I went to their website to find the doctor's who have privileges at that hospital.

Then I started looking.  I knew I wanted a female.  And I didn't want a solo practitioner.  It was a quick and easy choice.  Dr. F just felt like the right choice.

It was a bit tricky getting a convenient appointment but her secretary was quite accommodating.  And yesterday was the appointment.  And that made it real.

Dr. F seems really nice.  My sister says she's heard amazing things about the practice and couldn't get an appointment (not sure why that is but regardless...).  The very end of the appointment ... a surprise shall we say?  Women will probably know what I am talking about.  Dr. F joked saying sorry it was a surprise but I said I think I prefer it that way!  Next time ... no surprise :(  I'll be expecting it.

And although nothing is set and there is no "requirement" that we actually start "trying" at the end of the year, this does make it more official.  I am still taking my pills and still not trying to get pregnant.  But ...

It's more real.  And I'm excited.  But also scared.  But excited scared.  I've wanted to be a mom my entire life.  Truly.  I've always wanted to be a mom.  And it feels like I've taken one step closer to that actually happening.

My birthday is in November (November 3rd for those who are keeping track ;)) If all goes to "plan" (I know ... we plan and G-d laughs) this will be my last birthday not as a mommy.

So my question to mommies and daddies: what do you wish you had known/done before you got pregnant??

14 comments:

  1. I think one of the most important things is just remembering that people make LOTS of money selling you stuff that you "really need" for your baby. MOST of that stuff is totally unnecessary. Going nuts for pricey newborn stuff is silly because they'll only use it for a couple months (max). Get a GOOD stroller, crib, and carseat. Shop consignment for most clothes (unless you can score hand-me-downs from a friend!)
    Start taking that folic acid! :) Love those green leafy veggies!
    I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're throwing out the BC sometime this year, too. Hopefully this will be my last birthday without the title of mommy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sarah - you don't "need" all the crap that is out there. Spend your money on a GREAT stroller {I have the UppaBaby Vista, and it is worth every cent.} IF you are an active family. If that's not your life now, you're not going to be active with a newborn.
    Also, we got our crib at Ikea. Super cute and affordable. You'll want to invest in a good mattress, so save some cash where you can!

    Practice good eating habits now, you'll want to pass those on to.

    And the one thing I wish I'd done before we were pregnant was visit Italy. Now, I can't imagine being able to go so far without him - and a winery is no place for a kid. Guess we'll wait till he's a teen and leave him with his grandparents!

    Best,
    Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go out a lot! Following you on GFC as Ramblesahm. Come see me! http://ramblesahm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm awarding you with the Stylish Blogger Award! Go to the link to hear more!

    http://www.hello-tiffany.com/2011/03/seven-facts-stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing I wish I had done before I got pregnant, but I will say to start taking your prenatal now and have fun during the process of making the baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go Sara! Sounds like it's a very exciting step for you and having an amazing doctor by your side is one of the most important support you'll need. So congrats on finding a great match! I just discovered your blog and I am now following you thanks to Welcome Wednesday blog hop and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog:)
    And don't forget to check our new Blog Tutorial going on today. It's very easy and it would look amazing on your blog:) See you there!
    Happy Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for dropping by sweetjeanette.com and leaving your sweet comment from #CommentHour. Half the battle is finding a doctor you like and feel comfortable with. I wish you the best of luck and reaching your "goal" :) btw, November 3rd is my anniversary! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you found a doctor that you like! I know just how important that is! Good luck in taking the next step!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog for comment hour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog during SITS Comment Hour. It's exciting to start planning for a baby. I hope you guys have a wonderful journey to becoming parents. Oh, and it sucks to learn about your camera. Hope you can get it back.

    Jennifer
    http://alwaysinwonder.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is SO exciting to hear!! The big thing A and I miss about life before parenthood is sleeping in. Take some weekends and just be lazy!!! Sleep in, then stay in bed and watch movies all day... because once you have a baby? You will not do either of those things. EVER AGAIN. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. awwww that is soooo exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I had known about cloth diapers! I love them and could kick myself for not using them sooner. Seriously I have two kids. In one month we spent 80 bucks on diapers. We spent 400 on our cloth diapers(you can do it for cheaper) and in 5 months could recoup the initial cost compared to disposables. I wish I had known prebaby.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...