Friday, March 25, 2011

And the drumroll please

So for those of you who read my post yesterday, first let me say thanks!  (Especially to those who commented.  I love comments and it also made me feel less foolish for what I did!  If you didn't read yesterday, I would recommend reading this post first.)

As I am sure you can imagine, all today I have been thinking about my camera.  Hoping, wishing, praying in the goodness of people.  I had a meeting out of the office but needed to swing by the hotdog stand before I left at 1pm.  As is often the case with days when I need to leave early, I was swamped.  I didn't leave until 15 minutes after I wanted to, and even that was by no small miracle.

I drive the 7 minutes to the court house, turn the corner ... and she's there!  But I'm on a one way and can't park.

So I circle back around.  I'm stopped at a light on the corner where she is located.  But still, I'm not allowed to park.  Then, the car in front of me puts on his hazards.  I decide, it's now or never.  So I turn off my car, grab my keys (it is the city), though I did leave my purse, put on my hazards, and rush over to her.  She has at least 6 people in line.  I'm patiently waiting, but keep looking to make sure my car isn't ticketed/towed!! The guy who had stopped in front of me rolls down his window and lets me know he'll keep an eye out.

I have her ransom money in my hand (on more than one occasion I realize that since we are in the city this could be mistaken for a drug deal ... that would be my luck!)

As I'm waiting, I'm looking around the cart.  I see no camera.  My heart is dropping ... but I have to at least ask.

Finally there is a break in the line (or rather I just speak up).  "Ma'am ... do you have my camera?"  She looks at me and it is the moment of truth.  She says...


                                    "Of course I do.  I had to leave yesterday but I kept it."


All my faith in humanity has been restored!  She then lifts up the drawer from the cash box and pulls out my camera.  My beautiful camera.  I then hand her the roll of money.  (D gave me a $5 last night to add to the $4 I had and the $2 E lent me ... ps. E if you're reading this, I'll pay you back!!!)  She then says "no that's too much" which is a far cry from yesterday!  I say it's ok, it's only 11 dollars (I had put the $5 on the outside of the roll so it did look a bit more impressive.)  I then run to my car and call D as I drive away to my meeting.

Another coworker texted me later telling me that I "have proven that people are fundamentally good."  I feel great.  And I have my camera!

(Confession ... when I got in the car I did turn it on to make sure the battery/memory card was still there ... even I have to draw the naivete at some point!)

5 comments:

  1. I love it! This story made me smile. :) Glad you got your camera back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'm glad you got your camera back. Glad to see there are still some honest decent people in our world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop it! You had me laughing so hard while reading this!

    "I had put the $5 on the outside of the roll so it did look a bit more impressive."

    That sounds like something I would have done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yea! I read the first post, and I was hoping the story would have a happy ending! You've restored some of my faith in humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad this worked out for you!! What a crazy story. And my faith in humanity has been restored, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...