Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Accountant Says...

(Sorry ... another Sex and the City reference ... "my therapist says...")

Anyways, I'm back.

My immediate family all use the same accountant.  Could we do the taxes ourselves? Possibly. But that's a topic for another day.

Source:http://bit.ly/jC8HKY


So last year I got a return but my siblings owed (state and Federal).  I can't remember about my parents.  Anyway, our accountant told us to claim we were single (which at the time I legally was) and zero exemptions.

Let me tell you, that sucked! It was a lot more money out of my paycheck (ok ... not a lot more money, but enough that I'd notice).  But we listened.  And this year, we all got rebates.

Which got me thinking.  My accountant, I listened to without really a moment's hesitation.

Doctors, not so much.  Now I'm not talking about big things like cancer where we'd probably do anything our doctor recommended.  I'm talking about "proactive" things like lose weight, eat healthier, exercise more.  Ok, technically these could all be "big" things some day but at least in the present they aren't IMMEDIATELY life threatening, so more often than not, we ignore the advice.

For instance, my orthopedist recommended I wear a boot a few hours a day and do some exercises to help my foot.  The boot I'm pretty good at wearing.  The exercises?  Not so much.  I keep saying I'll start.  But alas I don't.

Maybe tonight will be the night!

I bet our accountant was pleasantly surprised when he saw our IRS forms and saw that we ALL listened to his advice.

If only all professionals got the same response...

4 comments:

  1. This is so true! My dentist always insists I need to get my wisdom teeth out and I refuse. And I'm supposed to be doing exercises for carpal tunnel and I totally don't unless it hurts. But I do wear the brace every night. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money is different, for sure! You don't want to lose any money so you listen to your accountant for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time following directions from anyone. I'm stubborn like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Good Post Sara! That's so true-makes me think that I need to get my running shoes on & hit the pavement!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...