Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Aren't We All Doctors?

Have you ever noticed how many doctors there are in the world?

Ok ... obviously I am not literally talking about doctors. But I'm amazed how people become doctors without ever having to go to school.

You might be shaking your head or disagreeing with me.  But think about it.

You don't feel well.  A friend/colleague/coworker/spouse/family member asks what is wrong and you tell them your head/foot/shoulder/big toe hurt.  They may ask a follow up question, they may not. Regardless, they are almost certain to tell you (a) what is wrong with you and (b) how to treat it.

No, I don't just mean that "you should see a doctor."  But rather, you should take this medicine, but not this one.  You should elevate/heat/ice for 10 minutes/1 hour/15 days.

Maybe it's just me? Maybe I am just surrounded by unlicensed doctors?

And don't think I don't do it too.

Now when your are a mom you have to diagnose.  I get that.

But be careful! Diagnosing your toddler could quickly grow to diagnosing any ailment on any person near you.

2 comments:

  1. My boss once sent me a recipe for a homemade cranberry concoction to treat a UTI (after I told her I was going to be in late because I had to go to the Dr.). I was like...really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guilty...but in my defense I'm generally just guilty of giving a home remedy for somethings such as apple cider vinegar for a sore throat/possible strep, yeast/thrush infestations, the like...saline nasal rinses for sinus issues...the like...things that I have TONS of experience with and if I can help prevent someone from having to pay tons of money to a doctor for antibiotics when they don't HAVE to be needed, then I do what I can. But I also do encourage seeing a doctor for things that either aren't 'cured' quickly with the home rememdies or are beyond a home rememedy.

    But there are some folks who will use Dr Google to extremes and that's just craziness.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...